If you or a loved one is living with vision loss, make living easier. Here are a few tips from the Lighthouse for the Blind Foundation.
- Appliances Mark frequently used settings on appliances with bright nail polish or Touch-Dots.
- Storage Store similar foods together; differentiate like-shaped containers with tactile markings like rubber bands.
- Label Clearly label toxic substances and keep them away from food.
- Clothing Arrange clothing by outfits, color, or with large-print labels.
- Pills Use large-print or color-coded labels, or buy pill organizers and talking pill bottles.
- Rugs Remove throw rugs or use non-skid rubber backing or double-sided tape to eliminate sliding. Always use non-skid rubber mats in the bath.
- Talking Aids Purchase talking appliances like watches, weight scales, and alarm clocks.
- Lighting Use flexible-arm lamps to focus light on the task, Install under-cabinet lighting in your kitchen, and use nightlights in hallways and bathrooms.